Disclosure: This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 SWEET SWAPS Blogger Program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
Did you know? The average American consumes more than 22 teaspoons of added sugar a day. That’s more than TRIPLE the recommended amount for women and more than DOUBLE the recommended amount for men! I’ll admit I am guilty when it comes to loving sugar. I have a bit of a sweet tooth so when the holidays come around with an abundance of sweet treats, well let’s just say it’s hard to resist. This year though, I have a secret weapon. Something that will help me enjoy my favorite treats, like these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, while reducing the added sugar and calories.
So what’s my secret weapon? It’s Splenda. With Splenda No Calorie Sweetener I can “have my cake and eat it too”. Sucralose is the sweetening ingredient in all Splenda sweetener products and is 600 times sweeter than sugar. By using Splenda in recipes that call for sugar you can cut those unwanted calories and still have a sweet and delicious treat, that you don’t have to feel guilty about. Splenda know offers a variety of products including Splenda No Calorie Sweetener packets, granulated, flavors for coffee, Splenda Sugar Blend and Splenda Brown Sugar blend.
This past week I decided make the sweet swap while making my favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip recipe. All of the other ingredients stayed the same I just swapped out the sugar and brown sugar with the Splenda Sugar and Brown Sugar Blend. The results? Absolutely amazing. Not only were the cookies just as good as before but I didn’t have the overwhelming guilt of eating something I shouldn’t be. By swapping out the sugar I cut out a big chunk of calories. So how do you make these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies? I’m glad you asked. Here’s the recipe below.
- 2 Cups All-Purpose White flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup Splenda Brown sugar blend
- 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and shortening together with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the Splenda Brown sugar blend and Splenda sugar blend and beat until well blended, about a minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat together for about 1 more minute.
- Next slowly add in the flour mixture until all the ingredients are well blended. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips and walnuts and mix well.
- Using your hands roll the dough into small 1 inch balls and space out about 3 inches apart. Flatten each cookie with the palm of your hand until they are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 11 to 14 minutes or until light brown and until almost firm in the center.
- Transfer to a wire sheet and let cool completely.
- Makes 32 cookies.
Just about anywhere you love sugar, you’ll love SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener! To help you swap out your sweets this holiday season the SPLENDA® Brand is dishing out 365 ways to swap sugar for SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. By visiting www.365SweetSwaps.com you will get tips and recipes to help you save calories from added sugar not only during the holiday sweet season, but all year long. Visit Sweet Swaps to learn.