Chocolate and cherry Cookies. I can’t think of a better combination. One of my favorite treats to make for my family is chocolate covered cherries. Each time I make this cherry candy treat, they don’t last long. Recently I came across a recipe for Chocolate covered cherry cookies. Since since my family loves cherry candy so much, I knew I had to give them a try. These cherry cookies turned out better than I could have imagined.
Here’s what you need to make these Homemade Cherry Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 Cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 Cups of Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 10 ounce jar of maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Fire preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together and mix well. Next add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and beat into the egg mixture. Stir until smooth. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls about the size of a walnut (larger if desired). Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press center of each ball with your thumb.
3. Drain the cherries in a bowl and reserve juice. Place a single cherry in the center of each cookie.
4. In a medium saucepan, heat the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips until the chips are completely melted. Watch carefully and stir often so the chocolate doesn’t burn or stick to the saucepan.
5. Stir in 4 teaspoons of cherry juice into the chocolate. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the mixture over each cherry and spread to cover cherry. More cherry juice may be added as needed.
5. Bake the cookies in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
These homemade cookies are so good! If you’re looking for a great cookie recipe I encourage you to try them. If you do make them, let me know what you think.