I have never been much a flower-type person. Sure they are beautiful and I love to get them occasionally but I would much rather sink my teeth into something sweet and savoring. Chocolate Covered Cherries are one of those treats that my husband knows he can never go wrong with. There is something about the mixture of chocolate, cherries and a sweet milky center that are perfect together. The past few years I have started to test my candy making skills and in the process whipped up a batch of my Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe. They are so easy to make and in my opinion taste so much better than the store bought kind. I hope you enjoy.
Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe
What you need:
- 1 Jar of Maraschino Cherries with Stems
- Cherry Juice from the Jar or Cherries
- 1 Package of Chocolate Chips (Milk, Dark or Semi-sweet)
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- 4 tsp of Vanilla
- Dash of Salt
- 1/4 Cup of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Before you make this recipe you want to make sure that the cherries are dry. So the night before drain the cherries and pat them dry with a paper towel. Place in the fridge and they will be ready to go by morning. Be sure to reserve the jar of cherry juice to use with the chocolate covering.
- Mix the butter, vanilla, salt and sweetened condensed milk together in a small bowl Pour this mixture into the powered sugar and mix well. Place this fondant mixture in the fridge for an hour to chill and harden.
- At the same time place your dried cherries into the freezer for an hour to harden up. This makes them easy to wrap the fondant around.
- After about an hour take your fondant and cherries out of the fridge/freezer. Take about 1 teaspoon of the fondant and wrap around the cherry tightly. To smooth it out you can roll it in your hand, just make sure that the stem doesn’t fall off.
- Place all of the fondant wrapped cherries into the freezer for about an hour.
- After an hour melt your chocolate chips in the microwave, adding the reserved cherry juice as needed to make it thin enough to dip the cherries.
- When the chocolate is done, take your frozen fondant cherries out of the freezer. Dip them one at at time into the chocolate mixture making sure you cover them entirely.
- Once they are covered raise them over the bowl and let the excess chocolate drip off. Place them on wax paper.
- After your all done place the cherries into the fridge and let harden. You can eat these cherries right away but the longer you let them sit the creamier they will be in the center. Place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Making this chocolate Covered cherries recipe is super easy and you will be so glad you did. They taste great and make a wonderful addition to any occasion. If you put these in a nice little gift box they would make the perfect gift for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, a birthday or just because.
If you need more ideas on Valentine’s Day Gifts Here are some of my favorites.