This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. All opinions are 100% mine.
When my kids were babies they would try and put everything that could get their hands on in their mouth. It seemed like I had a constant eye on them those first few years. With this new baby about to be born, I am in for a whole new challenge. You see when my older kids were babies they didn’t have siblings that left things all over the house, but this baby will. I have already been trying to teach my older kids that babies can get hurt really fast or even die if they put the wrong thing in their mouth. It scares me to think about the “What Ifs” but thankfully there are resources out their to help us parents and caregivers know what toxic products to look out for.
5 Toxic Products To Watch Out For
Although there are many different toxic products, there are 5 main ones to put on your watch list. These household products account for 9 out of 10 calls to poison control centers and include
- Hand Sanitizer
- Laundry Packets
- Button Batteries
There scary thing about these 5 products is that most of them can be visually appealing and even look like candy to an infant or toddler. Especially the Button Batteries. These things are so dangerous and with most toys and electronics having these button batteries, you have to be extra cautious about these small silver batteries being within reach of your baby. Poisoning can happen quickly! But the good news is that there are easy steps you can take to keep your children safe.
- Use Safety: Although you may be familiar with many of the items that are poisonous, there are many more that also need to be kept out of your child’s sight and reach. It’s best to avoid even using chemicals in front of kids, especially if they are five years old and younger.
- Safe Storage and Disposal: Keep any household cleaners or medicines in the original containers, out of sight and reach, and in a locked cabinet. Immediately dispose of old or unused chemicals and medicines.
- Be Prepared: If you suspect or know that a child has ingested or come into contact with any poison, call the poison Help Number. Take a moment to save the Poison Control number to you phone: (1-800-222-1222).
What To Do If Your Child Swallows Something Poisonous?
If you suspect your child ingested something poisonous, call the Poison Help line, 1-800-222-1222. Do not make them vomit or use ipecac or charcoal until you speak with someone at the Poison Help line or a medical professional. And PLEASE Call 911 first if your child has any of following symptoms: seizures, not breathing, or unconscious.
You can also download the Make Safe Happen app that you can keep on your phone in case you are ever at a friends house or away from your home and need up to date information.