Last week my kids were in the store and saw something that peeked their interests..slushy magic. These cool little cups claim to turn any ol’ drink into a homemade slushy and only cost you $15! Well even though the kids thought this was the most amazing invention ever, I couldn’t stomach to spend $15 on a cup so I decided to try and make my own slushy magic cup. Believe it or not it’s very simple and inexpensive to make these homemade slushy cups.
Rock Salt (The same salt used for Homemade Ice Cream)
Juice or what ever drink you would like to use
1 Gallon Size Ziploc Bag
1 Medium Size Ziploc Bag
1. Take the Gallon Ziploc bag and fill the bottom up with ice, about 1/3 of the way up.
2. Next Add 1/3 Cup of Rock Salt on top of the Ice.
3. Fill the Medium Size Bag with your beverage, we used 1 Box of grape juicy juice. Seal the bag well, make sure it doesn’t leak! You don’t want the Rock Salt solution getting inside. You can even double bag it if you need to.
4. Place the well-sealed ziplock Bag with the juice on top of the Rock Ice and seal this bag. Make sure you get most of the air out.
5. Now is the fun part, rub the rock salt mixture against the juice mixture until it starts to change into a slushy. This took us about 4 minutes.
6. Take the slushy bag out of the gallon ziplock bag and pour the slushy into a cup. Eat with a spoon or straw and ENJOY! It was about 93 degrees outside when we made ours so it didn’t stay frozen for long.
We have only tried making this with juice so far but I plan other things throughout the summer. I bought a 5 lb bag of rock salt which should last me quite a bit. I hope you all enjoy and I would love to hear how your slushy magic cups turn out.